After watching the BP oil spill advertisement I really wasn't all that impressed. I thought "I could have written that script, and all she did was throw out some random facts throughout the video." But as I began to watch the video I realized that a vast amount of argument and persuasion techniques were used!
Persuasion was the first style that caught my attention. Normally commercials are used as arguments, meaning that they have, at least, a reasonable point of view. But in this ad persuasion was used to change the viewers opinions. This was very apparent when the spokes woman stated: "we will keep looking for oil, clean it up if we find it, and restore the gulf coast." This quote instils a calm to the situation and could be very effective in changing some peoples opinions.
Sub-categorically, argument is added to the mix. There is a list of the actions that should be, and have been taken, including: "talking to restaurant and hotel owners...working with communities...and we have 19 centers in 4 states." These all are a was for BP to argue that they ARE doing something about the spill. This is certainly a way for them to sway the opinions of numerous people.
The next type of argument that stuck out was the Rogerian approach. This is normally used to find a common ground with others. Here in the videos the woman says "BP has taken full responsibility for the clean up in the gulf," this statement expresses that both sides are working towards a common goal. It almost challenges the idea that BP are the bad guys.
The video was very informative to say the least. From second :25 to the end, facts are scattered throughout the commercial. There is even a headliner that states "keeping you informed." This approach can be very persuasive to the audience for the simple reason that it is hard to argue with hard numbers.
Evidence goes right along with the Informative section of the video. One appeal to Ethos that the video conveys is that Iris Cross (the spokeswoman) is from New Orleans! This lets the viewer know that she is from a place that was effected by the oil spill. And if she can be on their side, what facts do I need to learn to do the same?
To tell the truth I was a little half hearted to analyze this video. I thought that I knew all of the facts and that there was nothing this videos could say to change my negative perspective about BP or the spill. I was almost certain that a one minute video wasn't going to change my mind. But after really magnifying each of the arguments made in the commercial, I can honestly say that I have a better understanding for the efforts being made by BP. Perhaps I have not forgotten the terrible accident, or who was responsible, but with a little effort I think I can forgive and move forward.
I think that you are correct in your assessment of the BP oil spill advertisement. The people taking responsibility are trying to win back the minds and hearts of those who previously supported them. They are trying to make sure that their side of the story is well represented and that people hear them out.
ReplyDelete