Thursday, September 16, 2010

In Class: Observations

As I sat in the gym that I had been thousands of times before, I realised that I have never really SEEN this space. I noticed so much more as an observer than someone who took part in the activities. The sounds of the place were the first obvious thing that hit me. I entered the building around six in the evening, about the time the kids classes were starting. The amount of activity was tremendous, I could hear the giggling and movement of WAY too many kids! It was so strange to be there at this time and not teach my normal children's class. As I observed the classes I realised how motivating and stimulating the walls were. All of them covered in posters about respect and courage, covering a color coordinated wall. I never noticed how the place smelled until after I left the building. The aroma of rubber from the mats and sweat from the people filled the truck ride home.

No comments:

Post a Comment