Thursday, September 2, 2010

In Class: Artifact Pathos

My artifact that I brought to class today is a gold metal. This summer I competed in the Texas State Grappling Championship and won first place in the division. There were more than a thousand people competing and over two thousand spectators. As I walked up for my first fight I felt my nerves in the pit of my stomach. The bell rang and suddenly I focused, I felt totally comfortable. The fight went well as I ended with a submission with two minutes left. My nerves the rest of the day, and into each of my 5 fights were just the same as before. Finally, after the final fight, my hand was raised and my name voiced loud over the intercom. My nerves were gone, no more adrenaline just a simple feeling of pride. I never thought I could feel as good as I did at that exact moment, that is until my brother (and one of my training partners) ran on the mat, picked me up, and carried me around the ring. At that moment I knew that this day was special. My artifact represents all the hard work, the dedication, and emotion that went into that day. I will always remember how good it felt every time I look at that metal.

No comments:

Post a Comment